THE FASTEST ANIMAL
The cheetah lives in Africa and some parts of Iran. This cat is smaller than other big cats but it is the fastest. The cheetah can run at over 100 kilometres per hour (kph) but not very long. The cheetah’s body is slender and it has long strong legs. The animal uses its tail to steer. The cheetah hunts gazelles and other small animals. It must eat quickly or bigger cats will get its food. Cheetahs are active during the day. They don’t live in groups.
THE STRONGEST ANIMAL
You’d say that the strongest animal must be very big. No, it’s small. It’s the rhino beetle. The beetle has a ‘horn’ on its head so it’s called ‘rhino beetle’. The horn is used for fighting. It is one of the largest beetles. The rhino beetle can carry 850 times its own body weight. A man who weighs 80 kilos could carry 68 tons. How much could YOU carry? Rhino beetles are popular pets in Asia.
THE LARGEST ANIMAL
The blue whale is the largest animal that has ever lived on our planet. It’s bigger than the largest dinosaurs. A blue whale is about 25 m long and weighs about 120 tons. When a blue whale is born it weighs about 2 tons. They gain 90 kilos every day during the first year. Blue whales don’t hunt, they eat plankton. Blue whales are also the loudest animals in the world.
Choose the correct answer for each question.
- Cheetahs hunt at night. (A) true (B) false
- What helps the cheetah run? (A) the tail (B) the head (C) the nose
- The rhino beetle can carry ………………………… times its own body weight. (A) 80 (B) 850 (C) 68
- It is called ‘rhino beetle’ because (A) it lives in Africa (B) it is very big (C) it has a horn
- The blue whale is very …………… . (A) fast (B) dangerous (C) loud
- What do blue whales eat? (A) big fish (B) plankton (C) people
Correct answers: 1B, 2A, 3B, 4C, 5C, 6B