I believe we all understand how important it is to be physically active, especially today, when people don’t move as much as they should to keep their bodies (and minds) in good shape. However, there are some notorious excuses for not doing any exercise at all, such as “I don’t have time” or “I don’t have the money to go to the gym regularly” or “I’m too lazy.” Well, the good news is that you don’t need a lot of time, money or sophisticated equipment to keep fit. The following lines provide descriptions of a few effective home workouts. However, there is always the risk of getting hurt while doing any exercise, so be CAUTIOUS!
GOOD TIP: If your teacher will allow his or her class to turn into a gym for a while, work in pairs. One of you can read the text, while the other tries to follow the instructions. Take turns and have fun!
1. Stand upright. Spread your feet1 a little. Hold your arms straight in front of your body. Lower your bodies as far as you can by bending2 your knees. Don’t slouch3. Then push yourself up again. Repeat 15 or 20 times.
2. Place your hands on a desk, a box or a step of the stairs. Lean over4 so that your body becomes a straight line from your feet to your head. Then lower your body in a rigid5 position until your chest nearly touches the surface. Then push up again. Don’t slouch. Repeat the push-ups 15 or 20 times.
3. Lie on the floor on your back. Bend your knees and keep your feet on the floor. Place your arms by your sides. Raise your hips so that your body makes a line from your shoulders to your knees. Squeeze your buttocks6 and pause for five seconds; then lower your body back. Repeat 10 times.
4. Stand as tall as you can. Raise your right leg straight behind you and bend your body forward. Don’t slouch and don’t bend your knees. Switch legs and repeat 10 times.
5. Stand upright. Hold your arms straight in front of you. Squat7 until your thighs are parallel with the floor. Don’t slouch. Then jump as high as you can and push your arms behind your back. Repeat 15 or 20 times.
DONE? NOW RELAX AND DO SOME TALKING:
◙ Did you understand the instructions?
◙Which exercise from above did you find the most difficult and why?
◙ Do you do any exercises at home? Explain.
◙ Look at the following pictures. Choose one type of exercise and try to describe the instructions for doing it.
Vocabulary: 1.rozkročiť sa – rozkročit se; 2 ohnúť – ohnout; 3 hrbiť sa – hrbit se; 4 predkloniť sa – předklonit se; 5 vystretý, narovnaný – vystřený,narovnaný; 6 zadok – zadek; 7 čupnúť si – dřepnout si