Before reading: Here are the things can’t you see in the night sky?
aliens, a satellite, a comet, galaxies, an astronaut, a planet, UFO, the Moon
These things are in the universe1. Some people think we are not alone in it and believe aliens will come one day in their UFOs. Others would like to travel into the universe and stay in a space hotel on Mars. People are curious2 and it helps them to do new things. In 1969, 600 million people watched the first Moon walk and the hero3 was – Neil Armstrong. His famous words are, ‘That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind4.‘
Armstrong was an engineer, a pilot, an astronaut, and a teacher. Here are some fun facts about him.
- He became a pilot when he was 15.
- He flew many experimental planes.
- He was a boy scout and got the Eagle Scout medal.
- His footprints5 are still on the Moon because there is no wind.
- He became a celebrity but did not like the media.
Facts about the mission6 to the Moon – Apollo 11
- July 16, 1969 – At 9:32 am Apollo 11 lifts off7 from Kennedy Space Center, Florida.
- July 20, 1969 – At 1:47 pm Armstrong and Aldrin are in the module Eagle.
- At 4:17 pm – The Eagle lands on the Moon.
- At 10:56 pm – Armstrong says, ‘That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.‘
- At 11:15 pm – Buzz Aldrin walks on the Moon.
- Armstrong and Aldrin collect moon rocks.
- July 21, 1969 – At 5:35 pm – the crew8 goes back to Earth.
- July 24, 1969 – At 12:50 pm – the astronauts return to Earth, landing in the Pacific Ocean about 1,448 kilometres from Hawaii.
There are 6 people on the International Space Station. Here is their daily schedule. Complete the chart with your own daily schedule on the right.
|Wakes up at 6 a.m.|
|Brushes his teeth.|
|Cleans the station and checks it.|
|Does sports for 2 hours.|
|In free time, emails his family.|
|Sleeps in a sleeping bag.|
Vocabulary: 1 vesmír, 2 zvedavý, 3 hrdina, 4 ľudstvo, 5 stopy, 6 misia, 7 štartovať, 8 posádka