Summer is a very popular season. It starts around 21 June and ends around 23 September. The days are long and the nights short. There are three summer months – June, July, and August in our countries.
What happens in summer?
Summer is a busy time.
Most animals have babies.
They look for food and teach their young.
It’s the time that people go on holiday and travel the world.
Summer is very colourful because there are flowers everywhere.
The trees are green.
Summer is full of life and it’s a great time for outdoor adventures1.
We must be careful2 because there are also storms in summer.
Why we love summer
Many people love the summer season best of all.
• We spend much more time outdoors and are more active.
• Summer time is picnic time. We can sit on the grass and have fun with friends. Barbecues3 are fine, too. And ice cream!
• It’s time to do sports. Get your bike, inline skates, and skateboard ready.
• It’s light in the evenings so party time is here.
• Fruits! Strawberries, cherries, blueberries,4 and other berries are yummy.
• Flowers and fireflies5 are magical.
• Swimming and splashing around6 is what we all love.
• We wear light clothes and sandals. No more winter coats!
• It’s time for holidays because there’s NO SCHOOL.
What’s the weather like in summer?
Read the definitions. Unscramble the words and complete the sentences.
boiling hot – very hot
sunny day – it is warm and bright and there are no clouds
warm – a little hot
a heat wave7 – a period of extremely hot weather
clear up8 – brighten up usually after rain
1. I hope it will EARLC PU ……. soon. We’re going on a picnic this afternoon.
2. We hope to have a NUSNY AYD ………… when we go to the beach.
3. It’s cooler now since the TAHE AVEW … ………… ended last week.
4. It’s BINGOIL THO ……………………; let’s jump into the pool!
5. What lovely weather! We’re getting so much UNSHINSE ……… .
6. Wear a T-shirt. It’s RMAW ……………… outside.
What’s in my suitcase?
Match the suitcases to each name.
VOCABULARY: 1[ˈautˌdoːr ədˈvenčərs] – dobrodružstvá vonku/ venkovní dobrodružství; 2[bi: ˈkeəfəl] – dávať si pozor/ dávat si pozor; 3[ˈbaːbikjuːs] – opekanie na ražni/ grilování na rožni; 4[ˈstroːbəris, ˈčeris, ˈbluːˌbəris] – jahody, čerešne, čučoriedky/ jahody, třešně, borůvky; 5[ˈfaiəflais] – svätojánske mušky/ světlušky; 6[splæšiŋ əˈraund] – pľačkať sa/ čvachtat se; 7[hiːt weiv] – vlna horúčav/ vlna veder; 8[kli:ə ap] – vyjasniť sa/ vyjasnit se